Inner Circle Gaming Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battle at Blobs Parkfunny comic strip Mainsi10Latest imagesHomeRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Challenge accepted!!
funny comic strip EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 2:48 am by aroy

» club night/ just hanging
funny comic strip EmptyWed Jan 28, 2015 3:05 pm by ginger

» Highlander 40k 1850 tournament at Flashback Comics
funny comic strip EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 9:36 pm by MaddMike6

» Highlander 40k format
funny comic strip EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 9:54 pm by MaddMike6

» going to outside the box this weekend
funny comic strip EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 7:21 am by scooter

» Warhammer Quest - Board Game
funny comic strip EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 12:09 pm by scooter

» going to NOVA
funny comic strip EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 12:02 pm by scooter

» 2014 BFS GT Oct 10-12 40KGT/X-WING/Malifaux Nyack NY
funny comic strip EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 12:39 pm by pissclams

» fantasy game at Dropzone on saturday
funny comic strip EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 11:05 am by scooter

funny comic strip

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Brent

Brent

funny comic strip Empty
PostSubject: funny comic strip   funny comic strip EmptyTue Nov 30, 2010 10:41 pm

Back to top Go down
Brent

Brent

funny comic strip Empty
PostSubject: Re: funny comic strip   funny comic strip EmptyTue Nov 30, 2010 10:42 pm

Back to top Go down

funny comic strip Empty
PostSubject: Re: funny comic strip   funny comic strip EmptyTue Nov 30, 2010 11:11 pm

His comment the next day, see particularly "I've seen unpainted armies on the board, had the temerity to field units thus once or twice, and more or less decided that if I couldn't honor the table it wasn't worth it.":

Quote :
I'd essentially resigned myself to sitting the office Warmachine fetish out, but when I thought about why I had done so, I couldn't come up with anything concrete. I had to parse my assumptions for awhile before I realized that it came down to painting. I've seen unpainted armies on the board, had the temerity to field units thus once or twice, and more or less decided that if I couldn't honor the table it wasn't worth it.

I believe I mentioned that I had some Warmachine miniatures on my desk as decorations, but when things took off around here I suddenly found myself equipped to participate, and did so because why not. It'd be like having a sword and a shield over your mantelpiece, purely for looks, but then orcs ransack your neighborhood and you decide that you might as well manifest your latent warrior nature. It was the sort of night you have a handful of times in your life, where you kinda think, yeah. What I did tonight is what I want to do basically all the time.

And as much as it might terrify me, that means painting. Painting, as such, is something that Gabriel does. The key learning for me, then, is that there is painting, but there is also applying paint to things, and the second one is something anybody can do.

This realization occurred at a fortuitous juncture. A friend of mine had reached some threshold in his self-conception where he could accept that boardgaming had eclipsed his love for wargaming, or at any rate, it had eclipsed his desire to continually paint his own armies and then paint his friends' armies, forever surrounded by raw, grey plastic, a crown of warped sprues his only reward. So I said, why yes, I will take stewardship over your paints and your instructional DVDs and to a certain extent your pulverized wargaming dreams.

I wasn't aware this was something I wanted to do at all, but the urge to complete this squad is cinched around my neck. It's absolutely a kind of Zen practice, applying pigment, and it's beyond strange to me that the part which kept me on the periphery of this hobby for so long has reliably delivered so much enjoyment. I spend two, three hours a night painting these Updiking things. And when I finish this post, I'll be doing it again. I think I've almost perfected the leather on their little bags (!!!!).

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2010/11/24/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

funny comic strip Empty
PostSubject: Re: funny comic strip   funny comic strip Empty

Back to top Go down

funny comic strip
Page 1 of 1