Inner Circle Gaming Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battle at Blobs ParkBeastmen First Pass Mainsi10Latest imagesHomeRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Challenge accepted!!
Beastmen First Pass EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 2:48 am by aroy

» club night/ just hanging
Beastmen First Pass EmptyWed Jan 28, 2015 3:05 pm by ginger

» Highlander 40k 1850 tournament at Flashback Comics
Beastmen First Pass EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 9:36 pm by MaddMike6

» Highlander 40k format
Beastmen First Pass EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 9:54 pm by MaddMike6

» going to outside the box this weekend
Beastmen First Pass EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 7:21 am by scooter

» Warhammer Quest - Board Game
Beastmen First Pass EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 12:09 pm by scooter

» going to NOVA
Beastmen First Pass EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 12:02 pm by scooter

» 2014 BFS GT Oct 10-12 40KGT/X-WING/Malifaux Nyack NY
Beastmen First Pass EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 12:39 pm by pissclams

» fantasy game at Dropzone on saturday
Beastmen First Pass EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 11:05 am by scooter

Beastmen First Pass

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Baneon

Baneon

Beastmen First Pass Empty
PostSubject: Beastmen First Pass   Beastmen First Pass EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 9:03 am

Alright figured I'd throw this out there and see if anyone learned has opinions on army make up. To prevent any problems with GW I will not put any stats or pts costs. I will also put a bit of the thought process that went behind why I'm choosing the options that I'm choosing.

Standard 2250 pts

Lord
------
Beastlord
--Razorchariot, Brass Cleaver, Troll Hide, shield, Scaly Skin

**Again it seems leadership is going to be the bane of this army so I took the general with the Highest leadership and kitted him for combat. So on the charge I should have 5A at S5, 4 +/- 1 at S5, S4, 4 S6, d6 Impact Hits at s5. Also thanks to the chariot he can break ranks if he hits in the side. He also has a 2+ armor save and Regen, not a bad little killer**

Heros
------
2 x Bray Shamans w/ 2 x Dispel Scrolls and riding Razorchariots

**I don't have allot of big units with wounds to hide these guys in so I moved to double utilize them. Instead of just being useless casters hiding in the back after the scrolls are gone I mounted them on the nasty pumbacart and will use them much like the lord to break ranks in support of my heavier units.**

Gorbull
--ABSB, Blackened Plate, Great Weapon, Armor Piercing attacks

**I plan on planting this guy right in the middle of my Bestigors and letting them go to town. It's my only ranked up full unit on the board and will provide the anchor for the rest of the army to move around. He'll grant them Frenzy which could potentially be bad but I have allot of screening units to keep them from running off on me after something I don't want them killing. With ArP he's dishing out a disgusting amount of -3/-5 Armor Checks. Blackened plate will allow him to survive and provides a small benefit to his unit.**

Core
------

3 units of 5 Ungor Raiders with Shortbows

**Cheap skirmishers with missile weapons? Add poison and I'd think I was playing Lizards again**

2 units of 5 Chaos Warhounds

**These two sets of core selections are the screeners, they are there to suck damage so the more expensive and let's be honest USEFUL portions of the army list can do their thing.**

Tuskgor Chariot

**Because more Chariots are always good...and it's core.**

Special
--------
@@@This is where I wish I had more slots to fill cause really, all the good stuff is in this section.@@@

16 x Bestigor w/ Full Command

**Decent ranked up unit, they'll be frenzied, they have GWs and a rank bonus. And the ability to steal your opponents banners to get a further +1 CR. YUMM! Honestly I don't know how these guys will do but I want to try them just for the ragging they've been getting on the forums. It's the only ranked unit I have in this list so let's hope they just don't get killed out of hand. Though I have enough drops (12) that my opponent should be worrying about everything but this unit.**

2 Units of 3 Minotaurs with Great Weapons

**They are huge, they are strong, they do impact hits and they carry great weapons. Why not?**

5 x Harpies

**Warmachines are bad MMMmkay***

Rares
--------

Ghorgon

**He's meaner then the Minotaurs. Honestly this slot can be switched to any of the rares if the Ghorgon doesn't work. The Jabberwockey looks interesting but will suffer the fate of most of my fliers (i.e. Flap Flap Squak BANG! dead) so I'll use the Ghorgon first. If I really really want to play screw magic I can throw a Cyclops in with the Bray's and just shut down magic completely but I haven't gone that route yet.**
Back to top Go down
scooter

scooter

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen First Pass   Beastmen First Pass EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 9:15 am

Hell yea Brad that is a really scary list I like how you took care of magic. My only concern with this list is if you play against someone who hides in the woods or someone more maneuverable. What’s the movement of your chariots?

Other than that great list I can’t wait to see it on the table.
Back to top Go down
Baneon

Baneon

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen First Pass   Beastmen First Pass EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 9:29 am

Chariots are M7, most everything else is M5 or M6. Hiding in the woods while a viable option will not save you forever as I really don't have a problem sending minotaurs in after you or even the ghorgon who's M7 and doesn't hurt itself when it hits terrain.
Back to top Go down
scooter

scooter

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen First Pass   Beastmen First Pass EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 9:31 am

wiked cool
Back to top Go down
Baneon

Baneon

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen First Pass   Beastmen First Pass EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 10:21 am

You think it'll be solid?
Back to top Go down
scooter

scooter

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen First Pass   Beastmen First Pass EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 10:24 am

cannon and high elves are alll you need to worrie about with all those chariots but you should walk thou most things.
Back to top Go down
Baneon

Baneon

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen First Pass   Beastmen First Pass EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 10:41 am

Yeah high elves suck all around with the strike before impacts but IIRC they can't get a S7 on there unless it's a dragon so they can't insta gib the chariot. Cannons are always a problem :/
Back to top Go down
Martin

Martin

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen First Pass   Beastmen First Pass EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 10:44 am

Harpies, eh? They're new in this book?

Are they the same profile as DE harpies? (WS3 S3 T3 A2 LD6)
Is there a model for them? (Didn't see one on the GW site).

Speculation has been for plastic DE harpies in the 2nd wave coming up.. Wonder if they'll make them more beasty to serve both armies.
Back to top Go down
http://martianempire.blogspot.com/
scooter

scooter

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen First Pass   Beastmen First Pass EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 11:09 am

same stat line yes
Back to top Go down
joko12

joko12

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen First Pass   Beastmen First Pass EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 2:01 am

dude I like the army can't wait to see it play
Back to top Go down
S-Low

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen First Pass   Beastmen First Pass EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 4:30 am

I feel a bit out of place commenting sice we haven't met, my name is Seth. I figure that if you didn't want constructive commentary, you wouldn't have posted so here ya go:

-I like how you deal with magic, very efficiant.
-I think that the skirmishing core guys are totally worthless, although I'm guessing they are in there to meet minimum core anyway. But seriusly, they have short bows. You can expect them to be hitting on sixes constantly and killing nothing. I dunno what to do about those core reqs, tho.
-In my opinion, the new rare choices are by far the best part of the beast book. If I were trying to make a nasty list I would always have 2 of the monsters. SInce you can expect your magic protection to weaken later in the game I might well take a Cyclops thingy. I think the Jabberwhatsit is prolly the best one tho, since it flies.
-I dont really think the lord needs that magic axe, he will probably end up doing his job without it. Check out the nice mini-storm banner magic item you can get tho. I would be going after that one.

Overall I love the fact that you have on many threats on the board. It should be solid overall.
Back to top Go down
Baneon

Baneon

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen First Pass   Beastmen First Pass EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 8:38 am

Oh I'm always open for discussions about warhammer/mathhammer Smile Best part of the games IMHO is the debates that always spawn from lists and books.

Thank you

Yes indeed, the skirmishers are there for core requirements but they also give you a missile troop. Lets break it down, for 30 pts I get 5 skirmishing short bow wielding beastmen. That's dirt cheap being they can come in min size 5 unlike Skinks. They also have the ability to Ambush so you could conceivably in this list have 1 unit of raiders show up behind your enemy on the first turn and shoot them. The short bows have 18" range so they'll be -1 most of the time meaning they are going to hit on 5s if they don't move or 6s if they do. While 6s aren't great, what do you expect for 30 points? Besides their main focus is to keep people from shooting up my chariots right off the bat. The Dogs and Raiders are just screens, they are there to die. The raiders can lose 2 models, panic and run through my own guys and they wont cause panic rolls...they aren't US 5 after they've broken. They are the best expendable unit I've seen so far. I'm actually thinking of dropping the Tuskgor Chariot for 2-3 more units of Raiders, if I can shoe horn 3 more I can conceivably ambush 3 units of bows against a gun line and cause some havoc.

Yes, granted the new Rare choices are very nice. I just find it hard to justify dropping 1/4th my army in rare slots that are large targets and can be picked out easily and eliminated.

I'm not sure I understand which item you are referring to by the "mini-storm banner" item. AHHHH nevermind I was looking under banners, you mean the Chalice of Dark Rain. It's a 40pt item, I could give it to the Gorbull but he'd lose his magic armor and the benefit of the ward against fire that the bestigors would get. I could give it to a Bray-Shaman but then I'd be down 2 more dispell scrolls. I could do as you suggest and give it to the Beastlord but how many magic weapons do you count in the army...just the 1 right? How else do you think I'd deal with Ethereal units? I could instead take away the Troll-Hide, give him a Ramhorn helm which counts as Light and keeps the armor save the same and just loses Regen. He gains a basic Str attack per armor save he makes and he'd have enough points for the Chalice. That would be allot of attacks that one guy could dish out, making it even more likely that the opponent will do everything in their power to shoot the crap out of him before he makes it into combat. He'd look something like this with the change when he hits a unit:

d6 str 5 impact hits
1 str 5 from Bestigor (GW, mounted)
1 str 4 from Gor (spear, charge)
4 str 6 from Razorgor (thunderous charge)
4 str 5 from Beastlord (base attacks)
4-5 str 5 from Beastlord (Brass Cleaver)
Armor Save attacks (if anything is left alive or it's HEs)

The only problem is he's a HUGE target to kill (passes LD9 to my herd and is hell on wheels) but now I've given up Survivability to reduce their shooting for one turn only. Dunno I guess I'd have to play both options and see which would work better. I think the only case where I'm not sure the Chalice would be a better option is with dwarves, cause if they castle up you aren't going to get a 2nd turn charge off and you'll have to whether at least one turn of shooting without the Chalice. So let them shoot at full penalties the first turn, pop the chalice the 2nd, charge the 3rd...hmmmm.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen First Pass   Beastmen First Pass Empty

Back to top Go down

Beastmen First Pass
Page 1 of 1