Inner Circle Gaming Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battle at Blobs Park6th Edition Fantasy Mainsi10Latest imagesHomeRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Challenge accepted!!
6th Edition Fantasy EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 2:48 am by aroy

» club night/ just hanging
6th Edition Fantasy EmptyWed Jan 28, 2015 3:05 pm by ginger

» Highlander 40k 1850 tournament at Flashback Comics
6th Edition Fantasy EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 9:36 pm by MaddMike6

» Highlander 40k format
6th Edition Fantasy EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 9:54 pm by MaddMike6

» going to outside the box this weekend
6th Edition Fantasy EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 7:21 am by scooter

» Warhammer Quest - Board Game
6th Edition Fantasy EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 12:09 pm by scooter

» going to NOVA
6th Edition Fantasy EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 12:02 pm by scooter

» 2014 BFS GT Oct 10-12 40KGT/X-WING/Malifaux Nyack NY
6th Edition Fantasy EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 12:39 pm by pissclams

» fantasy game at Dropzone on saturday
6th Edition Fantasy EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 11:05 am by scooter

6th Edition Fantasy

Go down 
+4
Martin
Lincoln
Jonny
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Jonny

Jonny

6th Edition Fantasy Empty
PostSubject: 6th Edition Fantasy   6th Edition Fantasy EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 4:09 pm

Since I, and a friend of mine, enjoyed 6th edition Fantasy more than 7th, we have decided to go back to it. If anybody is interested in playing Fantasy without uber-broken Daemons and no invincible blocks of doom like the Black Guard and Chosen Warriors, then join us. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 6th Edition Fantasy   6th Edition Fantasy EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 11:02 pm

you should wait and play 8th, with its variable charge distances and complete abandonment of strategy and tactics.
Back to top Go down
Jonny

Jonny

PostSubject: Re: 6th Edition Fantasy   6th Edition Fantasy EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 8:52 am

Complete abandonment of strategy and tactics? So you mean it isn't already like that???
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 6th Edition Fantasy   6th Edition Fantasy EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 9:29 am

Listen to yesterday's focus and fury podcast. They rip into it, it's pretty funny.
Back to top Go down
Lincoln

Lincoln

PostSubject: Re: 6th Edition Fantasy   6th Edition Fantasy EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 9:32 am

warhammer haters.
Back to top Go down
Martin

Martin

PostSubject: Re: 6th Edition Fantasy   6th Edition Fantasy EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 9:49 am

Listen to yesterday's focus and fury podcast. They rip into it, it's pretty funny.

Rolling Eyes
it starts at 4:50 or so if you want to skip all the warmachine junk.

sounds like they misinterpret the random charge rumor too.
lame
Back to top Go down
http://martianempire.blogspot.com/
Lincoln

Lincoln

PostSubject: Re: 6th Edition Fantasy   6th Edition Fantasy EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 9:54 am

anything about Warhammer from Warmachine players ends up jaded. But, I'd admit to the same the other way round.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 6th Edition Fantasy   6th Edition Fantasy EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 11:40 am

Misinterpret how?
Back to top Go down
Jonny

Jonny

PostSubject: Re: 6th Edition Fantasy   6th Edition Fantasy EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 12:10 pm

Lincoln wrote:
anything about Warhammer from Warmachine players ends up jaded. But, I'd admit to the same the other way round.

Probably not, but only because most Warhammer players probably don't know anything other than Warhammer.
Back to top Go down
S-Low

PostSubject: Re: 6th Edition Fantasy   6th Edition Fantasy EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 12:14 pm

I own skaven army books back to fifth edition, but I don't have a 6th rulebook. I would be down for a retro game of some sort. Are you talking about using old army books, rulebooks, or both?
Back to top Go down
Martin

Martin

PostSubject: Re: 6th Edition Fantasy   6th Edition Fantasy EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 12:38 pm

Misinterpret how?

They implied the entire charge distance was random, but the rumor as it is says charge distance plus a random component. Then it went off into you rolled a one warhammersuxlol.

I don't have a problem with the concept of having to accomodate a charge distance as a range rather than an exact amount, I think it'll help get rid of that we were 24 inches apart, you moved 8 but I want to charge next turn so I'll move x now stuff. Maybe not get rid of, but it'll make it more compelling.
To me, it's bogus to say that takes away strategy because it forces you to be more aware of what the other person is doing.
Not that it's relevant until they print the damn thing anyway.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 6th Edition Fantasy   6th Edition Fantasy EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 12:43 pm

If Warcheckers is mostly about the movement and positioning of blocks of troops (at least in theory) then how is taking movement and positioning and making it even slightly random helpful in developing a tactical play experience. Particularly when the same rumors suggest that part of the reason for doing it is that experienced players got "too good" at being able to make the guesses and calculations (some might say strategic/tactical decisions) that you describe in your post.

I don't know WoTR but I understand apparently that this concept is from that game? Does it make the game more fun to have your units not do what you want? Is it basically like everybody plays orcs and the whole army is random?
Back to top Go down
Martin

Martin

PostSubject: Re: 6th Edition Fantasy   6th Edition Fantasy EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 12:55 pm

If Warcheckers
Rolling Eyes
is mostly about the movement and positioning of blocks of troops (at least in theory) then how is taking movement and positioning and making it even slightly random helpful in developing a tactical play experience. Particularly when the same rumors suggest that part of the reason for doing it is that experienced players got "too good" at being able to make the guesses and calculations (some might say strategic/tactical decisions) that you describe in your post.

Some folks are successful running armies that are low Ld and prone to running away. How you deal with a random element that's part of the way your army functions speaks volumes imo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 6th Edition Fantasy   6th Edition Fantasy EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 1:22 pm

Like an abused wife, "he only hits me sometimes, but it's because he loves me."

The Warhammer player, "They only make me roll for random movement/stupidity a little, but it's okay, because not being able to control your army is part of the game."

I'm being unfairly harsh, and WM has a random element too (leadership and deviation), but I'd posit that more randomness does not necessarily improve a game.
Back to top Go down
Martin

Martin

PostSubject: Re: 6th Edition Fantasy   6th Edition Fantasy EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 1:48 pm

Well it sounds like it's going to be the same for everybody, so the domestic violence analogy falls a bit short.

Compare it to combat itself. Troops can be the best in the game, they're still going to miss on 1's. But the good general knows the odds of success and can bend them in favor by adding SCR, Multiple charges, runes, banners or whatever.

At the end of the day I may hate it, but I'm going to give it a chance.
Back to top Go down
Jonny

Jonny

PostSubject: Re: 6th Edition Fantasy   6th Edition Fantasy EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 2:48 pm

S-Low wrote:
I own skaven army books back to fifth edition, but I don't have a 6th rulebook. I would be down for a retro game of some sort. Are you talking about using old army books, rulebooks, or both?

Both. I own the 6th edition rulebook, and the changes from it aren't all that much from 7th.
Back to top Go down
Jonny

Jonny

PostSubject: Re: 6th Edition Fantasy   6th Edition Fantasy EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 2:51 pm

As much as I love some Warhammer hate, I suppose we could do that in a different topic. Here just stick with talking about 6th edition Fantasy, and how great it was.
Back to top Go down
ecurb12

ecurb12

PostSubject: Re: 6th Edition Fantasy   6th Edition Fantasy EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 6:32 pm

Can tomb kings actually win in 6th edition?
Back to top Go down
Jonny

Jonny

PostSubject: Re: 6th Edition Fantasy   6th Edition Fantasy EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 7:53 pm

Lol. Yes, they can.
Back to top Go down
S-Low

PostSubject: Re: 6th Edition Fantasy   6th Edition Fantasy EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 12:35 am

Can tomb kings win in 7th edition? Yes they can. Google Lonewolf GT, the first major fantasy GT of the season in texas. Go to the results page. Look at best general.
Tomb Kings.
Back to top Go down
scooter

scooter

PostSubject: Re: 6th Edition Fantasy   6th Edition Fantasy EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 4:34 pm

I've been told that all warmachien is is power lists. If you don't have the right set up then you have a much harder time of winning. Dose this mean I'm not going to play it no I'll be there and I'll try to kill all of you. Haters
Back to top Go down
Jonny

Jonny

PostSubject: Re: 6th Edition Fantasy   6th Edition Fantasy EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 4:48 pm

You heard wrong then. Its very difficult to make a "power list". There is nothing that comes close to the power of the top fantasy armies. The one thing that does stack the game against you is if you don't know your opponents army. If you don't know the opposing army, then you have no idea what it is capable of, and the game will most likely end up with your caster dying turn two. Ignorance is your biggest enemy in Warmachine. As for the lists themselves, you are very much required to make a balance list, instead of the "min-max" favored in modern Warhammer.
Back to top Go down
Brent

Brent

PostSubject: Re: 6th Edition Fantasy   6th Edition Fantasy EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 5:46 pm

Jonny wrote:
You heard wrong then. Its very difficult to make a "power list". There is nothing that comes close to the power of the top fantasy armies. The one thing that does stack the game against you is if you don't know your opponents army. If you don't know the opposing army, then you have no idea what it is capable of, and the game will most likely end up with your caster dying turn two. Ignorance is your biggest enemy in Warmachine. As for the lists themselves, you are very much required to make a balance list, instead of the "min-max" favored in modern Warhammer.

i find this statement to be true, one would say if all the lists are power list none of them are
Back to top Go down
Jonny

Jonny

PostSubject: Re: 6th Edition Fantasy   6th Edition Fantasy EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 6:01 pm

Also, I want to play 6th Edition Fantasy not only for the balance, but just that I enjoyed the game more. I found the game to be much more tactical and challenging in 6th Edition. Its not "I hate Daemons so I'm going to play before they were broken", its "I had more fun playing in 6th Edition".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 6th Edition Fantasy   6th Edition Fantasy Empty

Back to top Go down

6th Edition Fantasy
Page 1 of 1