Inner Circle Gaming Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battle at Blobs ParkNew Blood Bowl League Software? Mainsi10Latest imagesHomeRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Challenge accepted!!
New Blood Bowl League Software? EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 2:48 am by aroy

» club night/ just hanging
New Blood Bowl League Software? EmptyWed Jan 28, 2015 3:05 pm by ginger

» Highlander 40k 1850 tournament at Flashback Comics
New Blood Bowl League Software? EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 9:36 pm by MaddMike6

» Highlander 40k format
New Blood Bowl League Software? EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 9:54 pm by MaddMike6

» going to outside the box this weekend
New Blood Bowl League Software? EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 7:21 am by scooter

» Warhammer Quest - Board Game
New Blood Bowl League Software? EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 12:09 pm by scooter

» going to NOVA
New Blood Bowl League Software? EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 12:02 pm by scooter

» 2014 BFS GT Oct 10-12 40KGT/X-WING/Malifaux Nyack NY
New Blood Bowl League Software? EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 12:39 pm by pissclams

» fantasy game at Dropzone on saturday
New Blood Bowl League Software? EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 11:05 am by scooter

New Blood Bowl League Software?

Go down 
5 posters

Is a league website of our own worth $140 USD?
Resounding Yes! I'd be happy to pay a fee to continue playing Blood Bowl.
New Blood Bowl League Software? I_vote_lcap67%New Blood Bowl League Software? I_vote_rcap
 67% [ 4 ]
Yes, but I wouldn't pay for the service.
New Blood Bowl League Software? I_vote_lcap0%New Blood Bowl League Software? I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
No, not next year, but maybe in the future.
New Blood Bowl League Software? I_vote_lcap33%New Blood Bowl League Software? I_vote_rcap
 33% [ 2 ]
No, I'd never pay anyone for anything, and I don't particularly like the service.
New Blood Bowl League Software? I_vote_lcap0%New Blood Bowl League Software? I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

AuthorMessage
Chrispy

Chrispy

New Blood Bowl League Software? Empty
PostSubject: New Blood Bowl League Software?   New Blood Bowl League Software? EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 7:35 am

I'm currently looking to find a better way to run the league next year. I've been listening to the feedback that I'm getting from all the coaches, and one of the biggest ones I'm noticing is difficulty communicating between coaches to set up matches.

I've come across a service that will host our own League Website with amazing features. The person who runs it hosts websites for the biggest leagues in the world. Some examples are: www.mh.bloodbowlleague.com, www.anarchy.bloodbowlleague.com or www.brawl.bloodbowlleague.com.

I love it, as it makes my job a hell of a lot easier, but it would also be a good way to bring more Coaches into our league. However, I can't decide what the best way to pay for this would be. Ask the IC for the money? Ask the coaches for a nominal "joining fee"? Please vote above, but also let me know what you guys think by posting here.
Back to top Go down
Martin

Martin

PostSubject: Re: New Blood Bowl League Software?   New Blood Bowl League Software? EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 8:20 am

I voted for option three, which I take to mean not *this* year, but maybe in the future.

Is that fee a one time deal, or a per annum cost?
Could it be partly covered by block dice sales?
Back to top Go down
http://martianempire.blogspot.com/
BrianF

BrianF

PostSubject: Re: New Blood Bowl League Software?   New Blood Bowl League Software? EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 9:23 am

We can see how things go this year. Now that people will be getting matched up maybe there might be better communication.
Back to top Go down
Chrispy

Chrispy

PostSubject: Re: New Blood Bowl League Software?   New Blood Bowl League Software? EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 10:11 am

This league ends around November 2009, and I don't plan on starting the next until February of 2010. Option 3 means, not even next year, but after Season II ends, we should look at it.

The fee is an annual cost. It covers hosting and domain, as well as software updates that the developer maintains. Apparently, he does stuff to the code on a weekly basis.

Block dice sales WILL NOT cover most of the fee. We're pretty much selling the Block Dice at cost for us, with minimal additions to the price. Not all the block dice will end up being sold this season anyways. I ordered several sets "extra" for future leaguers.

Again, I'll try my best to provide you all with an excellent, FUN league. But I still have a normal schedule, so I'm just looking at the tools which would make this more assessable to people who'd like to join, as well as to facilitate your all's play. Please keep the comments coming!
Back to top Go down
Blowupologist

PostSubject: Re: New Blood Bowl League Software?   New Blood Bowl League Software? EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 9:53 pm

I'd gladly pay a reasonable amount (say $10?) to support the licensing fees. Any extra could go towards something like prize support, or some other worthy cause (like the Commissioner's beer fund).

How often do we plan on playing leagues?
Back to top Go down
Jack

PostSubject: Re: New Blood Bowl League Software?   New Blood Bowl League Software? EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 11:21 pm

Commissioners aren't the only ones who need beer, you know.
Back to top Go down
Blowupologist

PostSubject: Re: New Blood Bowl League Software?   New Blood Bowl League Software? EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 11:34 pm

Hey, I already contributed to that particular beer fund.
Back to top Go down
Chrispy

Chrispy

PostSubject: Re: New Blood Bowl League Software?   New Blood Bowl League Software? EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 11:42 pm

Quote :
How often do we plan on playing leagues?

Okay, this is still really up in the air, but next year, I was considering several options for a year-long league.

1. playing two-week rounds that are matched from the very beginning. This gives coaches plenty of time to schedule their game with their opponent whenever they can. Two weeks is plenty of time to prepare and plan for a game.

2. Two week rounds, allow up to three games using the challenge system. Coaches may challenge any other coach with equal to higher team value.

Quote :
I'd gladly pay a reasonable amount (say $10?) to support the licensing fees.

If we get 14 players joining the league, each paying $10, we could license the website for a full year. I just need to "feel the waters" so to speak, before I start even thinking of taking sign-ups. That's what this poll is for.
Back to top Go down
Jack

PostSubject: Re: New Blood Bowl League Software?   New Blood Bowl League Software? EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 12:00 am

Two week rounds seem rather long for a single game, but then, rather short for three. Perhaps a scheduled game and a pick-up game.

I still have some qualms about the challenge system, since it seems a logistical nightmare with all challenges going through Chrispy. That, and team value is of questionable use when determining a team's fitness, as it also depends on the skill of the coach, the skills chosen for players, and it can be easily inflated in a mature league.

See? I knew there was a silver lining to four straight 1's for winnings.
Back to top Go down
Chrispy

Chrispy

PostSubject: Re: New Blood Bowl League Software?   New Blood Bowl League Software? EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 7:34 am

In Blood Bowl, I'm not sure that each Team Value is as important as Coach Skill. The inducement process allows a bit of evening, but even then, an underdog is usually not at some huge disadvantage.

With the challenge system, games even themselves out over time, as like-skilled Coaches are apt to pick like-skilled Coaches. There will be preventative measures so that there's no cherry picking, but challenges allow for more flexibility.

In a matched system, it'd be the commish's responsibility to match like-skilled Coaches against one another. This is hard when the league is new and players have yet to "prove their mettle."

Two weeks is a little short for a single game, however, it doesn't stop Coaches from playing one-offs, or playing a second team. I'd like to try to get Coaches to play with more challenging teams: Ogres, Goblins, Vampires, ect.

Finally, to tie this all back to the thread topic, I think that we're suffering from a distinct lack of users on our forum. With a centralized league website, we could get all users from both divisions talking one place, as they'd have to visit there to be able to update their teams.

I think I'll bring this website idea to the IC council, and ask them what they think.
Back to top Go down
Blowupologist

PostSubject: Re: New Blood Bowl League Software?   New Blood Bowl League Software? EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 1:20 pm

Team Value is important, but like all aspects of this game it's not cut and dry. Many coaches end up inflating their team value with players that are more valuable on paper than they are on the field. Injuries are a good example, as injuries don't reduce team value. Similarly weaker players (like skinks) who have a ton of skills. There's a podcast called Tackle Zone Radio which covers a lot of the theory on team value and player selection. It's a good program to listen to.

I would prefer an open play system, at least for the preseason. Something where players can openly challenge each other, and complete a given number of games per season (like 6-7 in a 5 week period). I'll hold judgement on the match and tourney until after I've experienced them.

Has there been any attempt to bring people to this forum? I only know of it because of Jack.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Blood Bowl League Software?   New Blood Bowl League Software? Empty

Back to top Go down

New Blood Bowl League Software?
Page 1 of 1