Inner Circle Gaming Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battle at Blobs ParkHow to make a good tomb kings list Mainsi10Latest imagesHomeRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Challenge accepted!!
How to make a good tomb kings list EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 2:48 am by aroy

» club night/ just hanging
How to make a good tomb kings list EmptyWed Jan 28, 2015 3:05 pm by ginger

» Highlander 40k 1850 tournament at Flashback Comics
How to make a good tomb kings list EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 9:36 pm by MaddMike6

» Highlander 40k format
How to make a good tomb kings list EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 9:54 pm by MaddMike6

» going to outside the box this weekend
How to make a good tomb kings list EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 7:21 am by scooter

» Warhammer Quest - Board Game
How to make a good tomb kings list EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 12:09 pm by scooter

» going to NOVA
How to make a good tomb kings list EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 12:02 pm by scooter

» 2014 BFS GT Oct 10-12 40KGT/X-WING/Malifaux Nyack NY
How to make a good tomb kings list EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 12:39 pm by pissclams

» fantasy game at Dropzone on saturday
How to make a good tomb kings list EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 11:05 am by scooter

How to make a good tomb kings list

Go down 
+4
Lincoln
Jonny
scooter
ecurb12
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ecurb12

ecurb12

How to make a good tomb kings list Empty
PostSubject: How to make a good tomb kings list   How to make a good tomb kings list EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 11:53 am

so i started buying some tomb king models recently and i need some help making a good list for them Very Happy
Back to top Go down
scooter

scooter

PostSubject: Re: How to make a good tomb kings list   How to make a good tomb kings list EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 1:08 pm

bone giants scorpiand screaming skull cats. get all of those and allot of them
Back to top Go down
Jonny

Jonny

PostSubject: Re: How to make a good tomb kings list   How to make a good tomb kings list EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 2:43 pm

Well firstly, its much easier to understand you if you don't type like a 12 year old. But anyways, both Giants and Catapults are rare, so you can't exactly take a lot of them.
Back to top Go down
scooter

scooter

PostSubject: Re: How to make a good tomb kings list   How to make a good tomb kings list EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 3:14 pm

jonny your so pretty
Back to top Go down
Lincoln

Lincoln

PostSubject: Re: How to make a good tomb kings list   How to make a good tomb kings list EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 3:46 pm

you will want at least 30 archers in your army. you will need at least 1-2 liche priests, a prince and a king character. You will want at least 1 character model on a chariot. you will want some tomb guards probably 15-20 depending on your list. you can do sword/board skele's if you want but don't go crazy (20-30) should be fine for most lists. you will need a casket, at least 1 catapult, 2 scorpions, 3 carrion, and I would avoid bone giants unless you take 2 - they are also an expensive model so I'd proxy them until you know you want to use them regularly. the most powerful combo "usually" is 1 catapult and a casket. if you plan to use chariots 12 would be a good start. 5-10 light cav would do, but you won't use them very often as light cav in your army can't run and get the crap kicked out of them in combat. Ushabti are cool too 3-4 are useable. I can help you with an army list but figured I'd give you an idea of the models you'll want to get a list going. do you have a specific theme you want to stick with or are you just looking for a bit of everything? are you a power gamer or someone playing for fun?

Happy to help with lists if that's all you want. But, I usually recommend you try making your own first - but if you don't want to I understand that too.
Back to top Go down
joko12

joko12

PostSubject: Re: How to make a good tomb kings list   How to make a good tomb kings list EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 6:00 pm

I like a list my buddy made up 30 tomb guard 2 units of 30 skels with hand weapon sheild combo, priest with casket, 2 scorpions 1 catapult 1 giant and whatever else you can get in there.

The idea of this army to to have your 3 big units in the center with a stagger so that they can't hit all three they either have to hit the two big blocks of skels together or you will get to flank them with one of the other two units.

Also you can use the scorps gaint, and catapault to take some dudes out as well. Its a tough army to play but its pretty good.
Back to top Go down
ecurb12

ecurb12

PostSubject: Re: How to make a good tomb kings list   How to make a good tomb kings list EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 9:09 pm

uh well i know nothing about fantasy at all and im new to 40k. but the tomb kings sparked my interest cause i like the way the models look. right now i have 1 carrion 1 catapult 1 priest foot 1 priest mounted 1 Ushabti asp 16 skeleton warriors( 1 is a champion with sword and shield, one is standard bearer, one is musician, the rest have spears and shields) i am aware i dont have much now but i plan to get more for fantasy games. and Lincoln i am defiantly not competitive im all for fun Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jonny

Jonny

PostSubject: Re: How to make a good tomb kings list   How to make a good tomb kings list EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 9:47 pm

If you want fun, then you should go with something crazy like the chariot army. But anyways, from what I've heard of TK, you want a High Liche Priest, 2 Liche Priests, a Prince, 2 Catapults, a Casket on a priest, some archers, a unit of Tomb Guard, and then fill in the rest. But Settra and like 30 chariots, some Carrion, some Scorpians, and 2 Bone Giants would be awesome Very Happy

Oh and Scooter, I know I'm pretty, and so is capitalization, spelling, and punctuation. Just because you look like barbaric doesn't mean you have to type that way.
Back to top Go down
ecurb12

ecurb12

PostSubject: Re: How to make a good tomb kings list   How to make a good tomb kings list EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 9:57 pm

LOL!
Back to top Go down
Baneon

Baneon

PostSubject: Re: How to make a good tomb kings list   How to make a good tomb kings list EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 10:40 am

Only problem joko is you can't have a casket, giant and catapult in the same list at anything less then a 3k army. Hint: the casket is a rare choice! Razz

Behon that the king with the destroyer sword in a block of TG with the free reform banner works. Prince in flaming chariot with skull flail also works. I liked running multiple units of chariots when I ran TK, never really amounted to much but they were intimidating. Honestly I'd probably wait for the new book if I was seriously looking at doing a TK army, they are almost 100% likely to get new models.

Oh and I've heard Kalidra in a 40 man block of poisoned archers is fun, on a hill for 80 shots a turn hitting on 5s Smile
Back to top Go down
ecurb12

ecurb12

PostSubject: Re: How to make a good tomb kings list   How to make a good tomb kings list EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 11:33 am

i have no idea what your talking about 0.0
Back to top Go down
joko12

joko12

PostSubject: Re: How to make a good tomb kings list   How to make a good tomb kings list EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 12:08 pm

yeah the archer army isnt to bad I saw that win a tournament at the bunker a couple years ago haha
Back to top Go down
S-Low

PostSubject: Re: How to make a good tomb kings list   How to make a good tomb kings list EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 2:49 am

It's always nice to see more fantasy play in the world. Don't be scared off by the jargon here. Tomb kings are not a bad army, but they are extremly reliant on good generalship (which is actually a selling point). This is because your whole army moves slower in the movement phase because they can never march (move double speed without charging). However, your whole army can get a second move in the magic phase through spells, and this is where farsighted planning and tactics will make your army competative. YOu also have a spell that allows a shooting unit to fire in the magic phase, effectivly giving that unit 2 rounds of shooting (and yes this can be used on the catapult, which is awesome). The tricky part is that you are never going to be able to get off all of your magic, only some of it. If you can make the right units move twice or shoot twice at the right time, you can outmanuever and outplay your opponent. If not, you're screwed.

This guy playes tomb kings and does cool battle reports, check some of them out on his youtube channle:

Here he describes his army for an upcoming tournament
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FyoZ4dzOJc

Here he is in the first game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAcFmgk4O6E&feature=PlayList&p=ED3F2FCEB2C405FE&index=0
Back to top Go down
Baneon

Baneon

PostSubject: Re: How to make a good tomb kings list   How to make a good tomb kings list EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 8:06 am

The only problem with what you described in the current environment and what might be extremely frustrating if he goes with TK is that it is VERY magic heavy right now. No army is garunteed to get any spells off unless they roll Irresistable Force and TK can't even do that so having an army that depends largely on being able to move and shoot in the magic phase due to spells and not being able to get spells through the magic defense could lead to allot of bad feelings about the army.

I really hope this isn't your first Fantasy army and wish you luck in stomping your opponents. Us undead players gotta stick together Smile
Back to top Go down
Jonny

Jonny

PostSubject: Re: How to make a good tomb kings list   How to make a good tomb kings list EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 9:12 am

I agree with what Baneon said. Since the magic phase is supposed to compensate for their lack of marching and mediocre shooting (Catapults are the only decent shooting they have), anything that can reliably stop magic will give you serious problems. Liche Priests get one spell at 2d6 and High Liche Priests get 2 spells at 3d6 right? Plus the Prince's spell at 1d6 or 2d6 I think. If so, with max Priests, you'll have 5 spells, for a total of 11 or 12 power dice. This is the same as if an army took a lvl 4 and three lvl 2s, but you have the benefit that every spell you cast will go off, while they all have to test to see if their spells go off. Now, that same army will have at least 7 dispel dice, enough to reliably stop two or three spells, and when you can only get two or three spells off a turn, that's hardly enough to compensate for the weakened moving phase. The opposing army on the other hand will only need their spells as a complement to their army, so it matters less to their army.

This is against a normal, caster stacking army. Against a magic resistant army, like caster heavy Lizardman, Tzeentch Daemons, Orcs and Goblins, Wood Elves, and probably a few others, they will have just as many dispel dice as you have theroretical power dice. Vampire Counts make up for this by being able to march with I think everything, so really all they need is to bring models back to life, which they can do by casting Invocate 15-20 times in a turn.

So basically, TK's reliance on the magic phase is what makes them so weak, especially since their magic phase isn't all that hard to counter. That being said, if you want an army that makes you think, and don't mind losing most (if not all) games against half the armies in the game, then go ahead and play them. Don't let certain individual(s) inability to make a balance game ruin your fun.
Back to top Go down
ecurb12

ecurb12

PostSubject: Re: How to make a good tomb kings list   How to make a good tomb kings list EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 9:20 am

lolk
Back to top Go down
D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez

PostSubject: Re: How to make a good tomb kings list   How to make a good tomb kings list EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 12:33 pm

Womb kings suk. Sell your stuff and play VC.
Back to top Go down
ecurb12

ecurb12

PostSubject: Re: How to make a good tomb kings list   How to make a good tomb kings list EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 12:48 pm

I'm not playing them to win, im playing them because I like the models
Back to top Go down
Baneon

Baneon

PostSubject: Re: How to make a good tomb kings list   How to make a good tomb kings list EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 2:31 pm

Then go forth and conquer. You should really enjoy them as the egyptian theme is pretty cool Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to make a good tomb kings list   How to make a good tomb kings list Empty

Back to top Go down

How to make a good tomb kings list
Page 1 of 1