Inner Circle Gaming Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battle at Blobs ParkNew dwarf player needs help!! Mainsi10Latest imagesHomeRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Challenge accepted!!
New dwarf player needs help!! EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 2:48 am by aroy

» club night/ just hanging
New dwarf player needs help!! EmptyWed Jan 28, 2015 3:05 pm by ginger

» Highlander 40k 1850 tournament at Flashback Comics
New dwarf player needs help!! EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 9:36 pm by MaddMike6

» Highlander 40k format
New dwarf player needs help!! EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 9:54 pm by MaddMike6

» going to outside the box this weekend
New dwarf player needs help!! EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 7:21 am by scooter

» Warhammer Quest - Board Game
New dwarf player needs help!! EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 12:09 pm by scooter

» going to NOVA
New dwarf player needs help!! EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 12:02 pm by scooter

» 2014 BFS GT Oct 10-12 40KGT/X-WING/Malifaux Nyack NY
New dwarf player needs help!! EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 12:39 pm by pissclams

» fantasy game at Dropzone on saturday
New dwarf player needs help!! EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 11:05 am by scooter

New dwarf player needs help!!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kilkarik

Kilkarik

New dwarf player needs help!! Empty
PostSubject: New dwarf player needs help!!   New dwarf player needs help!! EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 12:55 am

Hey guys, just like the title said, I'm a fresh out of the box new guy when it comes to fantasy. Finished reading the rules and such so I believe I understand gameplay but am lacking the hard earned experience all of you have. Please keep this in mind as you read as I'm trying to find constructive critism through this post. Starting fantasy, I'm very interested to begin playing the dwarves, but am, at the same time, very wary to go out and "play test" every unit as some units cost over $100 and will take tremendous amounts of time to paint. For this reason, I've thrown together a sample army list to test out and gain some experience with, while also having units that will be essencial to the army and the gameplay desired. My reasons for the units posted will be given after the actual list so you all can gain a general idea of whats going through my head before you even see it. Please be sure to point out possible weaknesses in the build or flaws with my logic of thinking. Good advice is always welcome Very Happy!

Dwarf Army - 2499p

Key:
Ro - "Rune of"
MRo - "Master Rune of"

Lord:

Runelord - 418p
-Sheild
-MRo Balance
-Ro Spellbreaking
-Ro Sheilding
-Anvil of Doom

Hero:

Thane A - 132p
-Sheild
-Ro Fury
-Ro Cleaving
-Ro Cleaving

Thane B - 134p
-Great Weapon
-MRo Gromril
-Ro Cleaving
-Ro Cleaving

Core:

Warriors(40) - 425p
-Great Weapons
-Musician
-Standard Bearer
-Veteran

Long Beards(40) - 545p
-Great Weapons
-Musician
-Standard Bearer
-Veteran

Thunderers(20) - 315
-Sheilds
-Musician
-Standard Bearer

Special:

Grudge Thrower A - 135p
-Ro Burning
-Ro Penetration
-Ro Accuracy

Grudge Thrower B - 155p
-Ro Penetration
-Ro Penetration
-Ro Accuracy

Cannon - 130p
-Ro Forging
-Ro Burning

Miners(10) - 110p

Logic Behind Army List:

The army follows the basic structure of hole up in a corner, nuke with artillery, and beat the rest with a frontline of hard hitters. I will run the thanes in a horde each, giving the horde an even stronger ability to take on enemies. I wanted each thane to have protection in case challenged or singled out, explaining sheild on one and MRo Gromril on the other.

The thunders will go in the front of all the units so that they can get shots into the first (and possibly more) unit(s) to arrive as well as get a stand and shoot round of shots into a unit once they are charged to get extra wounds and possibly make them fail a panic test. Giving the thunderers sheilds will give them a bit of staying power in combat and also a chance to win combat in fights against super softened up units. The standard bearer and musician will also help with this.

I used great weapons over sheilds in the hordes because dwarf intiative is sub par to say the least and will probably hit last anyways, so why not beef them up so the horde will decimate units it ends up fighting.

Artillery is runed so the grudge thowers will be able to hit extremely hard and accurately. This is to ensure there is no horde at full strength and/or elite squads reach my troops. The cannon will be used for taking out characters and monsters. If needs be, grudge throwers can also be used for this as they will have the same effects as the cannon ball does when under the circle on characters.

As for the anvil of doom, I know a lot of players shun it but I saw it nessecary to help make my lord choice more effective. Its obvious ability to slow and damage units that come up the field tied in with a rune lord that is built to shut down enemy spell casting seemed worth the 400p I spent on him. The anvil will also play another dire part in the army which will be explained in the paragraph below.

The one weakness that I can very easily see with the army list is protection from another artillery line. A couple well placed mortar/stone thrower shots in my hordes and I could very well be missing a good portion of my army Neutral. To combat this, I have two solutions in the army. One is the miners and two is the anvil. Artillery lines are, more often than not, going to be towards the back end of the field as to prevent being easily charged. Miners, with luck, coming in turn two, would be able to wipe out the first mortar team as early as turn three. This would help save so many troops from this AoE harrass and can, from there, continue to just wipe out all warmachines / random wizard(s) sitting towards the back end of the field. My second alternative, as mentioned in the above paragraph, is to use the rune lord on the anvil. Assuming I can get off a Ancient Power while striking the bad boy, I would sacrifice one of the shots to wipe out one of these AoE warmachines. Some may debate not slowing a unit is too high a penalty to pay but I disagree as I would lose more troops from not killing the AoE warmachine. This also does not mean that the grudge throwers can not just pick up the slack on the units that were not slowed. Against non-artillery armies, the miners could simply come in to flank an enermy unit that has reached my front lines and help to win a combat.

Closing Note:

For those of you who took the time to read this mountain of text, I honestly thank you and extremely look forward to your predictions and critism Smile . - Kilkarik

P.S.- Completely unrelated side note, if I've got questions on a lore and color scheme idea for my army, under what forum should I post?
Back to top Go down
scooter

scooter

PostSubject: Re: New dwarf player needs help!!   New dwarf player needs help!! EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 5:51 pm

I like the list I think it's very balanced. With the right match's there isn't a lot you’ll have to worry about.

In a tournament setting I would probably try to focus more on anti-magic and war machines. But we can talk about all that on Monday if you come down.
Back to top Go down
Kilkarik

Kilkarik

PostSubject: Re: New dwarf player needs help!!   New dwarf player needs help!! EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 5:53 pm

Thank you again. Look forward to talking to you then
Back to top Go down
Kilkarik

Kilkarik

PostSubject: Re: New dwarf player needs help!!   New dwarf player needs help!! EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 6:32 am

Yo, never got an answer on which forum to post the lore and color scheme idea. Sorry to be a pest
Back to top Go down
scooter

scooter

PostSubject: Re: New dwarf player needs help!!   New dwarf player needs help!! EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 2:10 pm

lol it's cool I'd post it under fantasy ideas start a blog of sorts post pic's get ideas and advise.
Back to top Go down
Kilkarik

Kilkarik

PostSubject: Re: New dwarf player needs help!!   New dwarf player needs help!! EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 3:14 pm

Going to make two revisions to this list. One trying out a lord instead of an anvil and one with the anvil, but dropping the thanes and miners for an aditional cannon and a BSB. Ill post them both up here and see if they are matching the changes you guys suggested.
Back to top Go down
Kilkarik

Kilkarik

PostSubject: Re: New dwarf player needs help!!   New dwarf player needs help!! EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 3:15 pm

Lord Revision:

Lord:

Dwarf Lord – 301p
-Great Weapon
-Shield Breakers
-MRo Gromril
-Ro Resistance
-Ro Preservation
-MRo Spite
-Ro Furnace
-Ro Striking

Hero:

Runesmith –145p
-Ro Spelleater
-Ro Spellbreaker

Runesmith – 145p
-Ro Spelleater
-Ro Challenge

Core:

Warriors(40) - 425p
-Great Weapons
-Musician
-Standard Bearer
-Veteran

Long Beards(40) - 545p
-Great Weapons
-Musician
-Standard Bearer
-Veteran

Thunderers(18) – 252p

Special:

Grudge Thrower A - 135p
-Ro Burning
-Ro Penetration
-Ro Accuracy

Grudge Thrower B - 155p
-Ro Penetration
-Ro Penetration
-Ro Accuracy

Grudge Thrower C – 140p
-Ro Accuracy
-Ro Penetration
-Ro Reloading

Cannon A - 130p
-Ro Forging
-Ro Burning

Cannon B – 125p
-Ro Forging

Back to top Go down
Kilkarik

Kilkarik

PostSubject: Re: New dwarf player needs help!!   New dwarf player needs help!! EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 4:40 pm

BSB Revision:

Lord:

Runelord - 418p
-Sheild
-MRo Balance
-Ro Spellbreaking
-Ro Sheilding
-Anvil of Doom

Hero:

Thane – 165
-Battle Standard Bearer
-MRo Gromril
-MRo Spite
-Ro Furnace

Core:

Warriors(40) - 425p
-Great Weapons
-Musician
-Standard Bearer
-Veteran

Long Beards(40) - 545p
-Great Weapons
-Musician
-Standard Bearer
-Veteran

Thunderers(28) – 392p

Special:

Grudge Thrower A - 135p
-Ro Burning
-Ro Penetration
-Ro Accuracy

Grudge Thrower B - 155p
-Ro Penetration
-Ro Penetration
-Ro Accuracy

Cannon A - 130p
-Ro Forging
-Ro Burning

Cannon B – 125
-Ro Forging
Back to top Go down
Keenan

Location : Store: G&S, Work: Columbia, Live: Columbia at the mo

PostSubject: Re: New dwarf player needs help!!   New dwarf player needs help!! EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 1:07 am

In your first 2 lists there is one issue that makes them illegal. You have characters with great weapons and runes. You have to put a certain rune on first before adding others. Also with the first one you lack a lot of magic defense and truthfully would get a pretty bad loss to magic heavy lists. Short of that they're not bad lists. I would say the heart of your army should be 4-5 war machines (2 cannons 2-3 grudge throwers) and magic defense. After that fill in with flavor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New dwarf player needs help!!   New dwarf player needs help!! Empty

Back to top Go down

New dwarf player needs help!!
Page 1 of 1